Friday, Oct. 4

Glass talks new video, home game attendance

In this week’s conversation with IU Athletic Director Fred Glass, we talk about the new video Brice Fox and Daniel Weber made for the football team, Glass’ love for fireworks and his candy stripe suit jacket.

IDS: What were your thoughts on the “We Are IU” video that Brice Fox and Daniel Weber made for the football team that debuted at halftime Saturday?

GLASS: I think it’s awesome. I think those guys really captured the essence of IU football and put in a lot of the new things we’ve got going with the game day experience and a lot of stuff going on on the field.
I think over time that will become a real anthem for IU football, and kids will really embrace it.

IDS: What’s the plan going forward for playing it on game day?

GLASS: We’re going to look for a time to play it — like at the same time every game — so hopefully it becomes more of a tradition, and the kids really get into it. We haven’t settled on that point in time yet, but we really hope it becomes a major part of the home football experience.

IDS: What was the process like of getting them to make a music video, and what made you think of them?

GLASS: Well, you know “This is Indiana” became such an anthem. I was blown away on Spirits and Traditions day when all these freshmen filled Assembly Hall and every single one of the kids knew every single word.

Those guys do a fabulous job. We thought, “Well, if they can help do for IU football what they’ve done for IU basketball, it would really be terrific.” We commissioned them to do it, and I think they did a really, really good job.

IDS: Were they enthused to do it?

GLASS: They’ve been fired up, man. I’ve been getting texts from both of them during the whole project. They’ve really enjoyed doing it.

It’s a labor of love for them because they love IU, but it’s also what they do. They’re really happy to merge their professional interests and producing a video like that with their personal loyalty to IU.

I think it’s going to be a real staple for IU football for a long time.

IDS: A lot of people have talked about the pregame fireworks. Where did your love for fireworks come from?

GLASS: (laughs) I’ve got to say a lot of that, the credit goes to Pat Kraft who was the head of our marketing group early on. He thought adding fireworks would be a big plus. I think he was right. We just tried to incorporate that in as part of what we do.
I can’t take the credit for that, but we’ve embraced it, and I think it’s something our fans have come to enjoy.

IDS: Financially, what’s the importance of having all four of the non-conference games at home?

GLASS: It’s great. Obviously it’s a money maker for us. I think the quality of our opponents and the excitement of our team have led to really good attendance.
We’re substantially ahead of our projections because the fans have really turned out for those games. It’s a big plus.

Our sweet spot is to try to have seven (home) games. We haven’t been really good at hitting that seven. We’ve been at eight, we’ve been at six. We’re going to do everything we can to be right in there at seven. That’s the right number.

Although if we bounce over to eight every once in a while, I’d be all for that because I love having a lot of home games.

IDS: What was the target attendance number for these non-conference games, and how far over did you exceed the projections?

GLASS: I don’t have the numbers at the tip of my tongue. We tried to set a target for each game, but we’re substantially ahead of what we projected, so we’re really pleased about that.

IDS: From Twitter, Herman B WellShots asks: Where did you get your candy stripe suit jacket, and where can I get one?

GLASS: (laughs) I love the handle. Herman B Wells is one of my two greatest heroes. I’ve learned a lot from him — although I never met him — by reading a lot about him. I think that’s great.

The candy stripe jacket, I actually admired someone who had one. The next thing I know, I got one myself. There’s actually a company in Southern Indiana that’s manufacturing those. I don’t have the name handy, but they’ve got a nice little business going doing those. They’re a lot of fun. If those spread around amongst Hoosier fans, I think that’d be great.

To get your question asked next week, tweet @robbyhoward1 by 5 p.m. Tuesday.