Friday, Oct. 4

sports men's soccer

Hoosiers hit road against Butler

The IU men’s soccer team will take its act on the road this week, looking to extend its three-game unbeaten streak to four.

Senior midfielder Nikita Kotlov and junior midfielder Dylan Mares netted their first goals of the season in a 2-1 take down against Brown on Friday. 

Mares said he hopes to keep the ball rolling in Indianapolis tonight as the team takes on No. 23 Butler.

The Bulldogs will test the Hoosiers in just their second road match of the season. Butler (5-1-1) has recorded three shutouts this year. The Bulldogs’ last match ended in a 3-0 victory against Brown.

“They’re a really nice team, and we’re going to have to play really well,” IU Coach Todd Yeagley said. “They’re going to be good on both sides of the ball, and it’s going to be a fantastic atmosphere. This is going to be one of the toughest games to date, so I’d like to see where this team can perform on this stage against a rival in the state.”

The Hoosiers will also have to counter the play of Butler’s David Goldsmith. Goldsmith has five goals and 11 points. Two of those five goals have been game winners.

Freshman forward Tommy Thompson said the goals have been coming for the Hoosiers, and if they continue to play their game, they have what it takes to win.

“We just have to play the way we’ve been playing,“ Thompson said. “We’ve been creating a lot of chances and are starting to put the ball in the back of the net a little bit more, which is good. We just have to stay focused and do what we can do.”

Mares, who transferred from Louisville, led the Cardinals in scoring with seven goals last season. After a bit of a frustrating start to this season, he found the back of the net on a free kick about 23 feet from the goal Friday.

Yeagley said getting Mares and Kotlov on the score sheet will create opportunities for his team in games to come.

Mares said, with a laugh, he was just happy he remembered how to score.

“It’s important to get that in and to make sure that I can still score,” Mares said. “It’s good to finally get that one for the team. I just have to keep it going and just keep working hard in practice.”

Although the Hoosiers are playing in enemy territory, there are sure to be a lot of Indiana fans in attendance in Indianapolis, especially with nine players on the Hoosier squad hailing from high schools around the area.

Mares, who went to Zionsville High School with seniors Harrison Petts and A.J. Corrado, said he’s excited to play in front of a familiar crowd.

“My brother was actually an alumni of Butler, and I think it’s going to be interesting to go back there,” Mares said. “I’ve never really played there in college yet, but it’s going to be nice to go back there in front of a crowd I’m a little more familiar with. It should be a fun and exciting game with a good atmosphere.”

Follow reporter Alyssa Extin on Twitter @alyssa_extin.