Friday, Oct. 4

Hoosiers, Tigers only meeting between conferences

The conference has won seven straight BCS national titles. But IU isn’t playing the entire conference Saturday night.

“I mean, we’re excited,” junior wide receiver Cody Latimer said. “But we’re just treating it like another game. We’re not going to make this a Superbowl game or anything.”

When IU (2-1) welcomes Missouri (2-0) at 8 p.m. Saturday, it will be the first time since 2005 that the Hoosiers have played an SEC team.

“The hype they’re given is deserved,” sophomore cornerback Michael Hunter said of the SEC. “They have won most of the BCS national championships.”

IU has an all-time winning record against the conference. IU is 30-23-3 overall and 6-2-2 against Missouri. But the last time the Hoosiers played, IU’s quarterback, sophomore Nate Sudfeld, wasn’t born yet.

This is the only occurrence of Big Ten and SEC programs playing each other this season.

Despite this, IU isn’t focused on representing its conference.

“I just want to represent my team, my family and represent Indiana and play hard for them,” sophomore running back Tevin Coleman said.

On whether this could be a statement game for the Big Ten conference, Hunter had a simple answer.

“No,” he said. “I have to go out there and play for my teammates first and foremost. And prove to the fans and community and Indiana that we can compete against these high-caliber teams.”

Forget about the ore of an SEC team, Hunter said. Missouri is a good team by themselves, and they must be respected.

“Yes sir, definitely. Not only because they’re an SEC team but because they are a quality team. They’re going to air the ball out.”

Playing for one of the nation’s top football conferences demands a tough schedule. Last year Missouri had the toughest schedule in the nation, IU Coach Kevin Wilson said.

“Last year they’re 5-7 in their first year in the SEC,” Wilson said, “playing
probably the toughest schedule, no matter how you want to look at it last year.”

Missouri played Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, Florida and Texas A&M last season. They lost all those games.

Those five teams finished No. 9 or higher in the final AP poll last season. In comparison, IU played only two teams that finished ranked in the top 25 of the final AP
poll.

The night game will be the Hoosiers third of the young season, with the 8 p.m. kickoff being the latest.

“In the night game, days are longer, and it’s kind of dragged out,” Latimer said. “When you got the noon game, you’re up and ready to go, and it’s nonstop.”

However, many of the players like night games because it reminds them of playing in high school. And they said the fans are more hyped.

“Playing under the lights is fun,” Latimer said with a smile.

Follow reporter Evan Hoopfer on Twitter @EvanHoopfer.