Friday, Oct. 4

Men's golf team finishes fifth

The IU men’s golf team closed the Wolf Run Intercollegiate in fifth place, its best finish of the season. Scores for the team improved as a whole in each round, at 303, 298 and 295.

IU Coach Mike Mayer said the team continues to show improvement, but he’s still
looking for more.

“We didn’t quite get to where we hoped to get to this weekend,” he said.

The Hoosiers finished at 44-over-par 896. Illinois cruised to the victory for the second straight year, finishing at eight-under-par 844, 33 strokes ahead of second place.
Mayer said Wolf Run proved a tough task, despite the team’s familiarity with the course.

“I thought it was a really good test, and saying that, obviously Illinois played outstanding through the entire tournament,” he said.

Junior Andrew Fogg, led the way for the Hoosiers. He tied for 24th at 12-over-par 225, rising through the ranks Sunday with a two-under-par 69.

Mayer said he was pleased with how Fogg closed out the tournament.

“We needed that from him,” Mayer said. “We challenged him to go out today and play with a little bit more conviction.”

Through the first two rounds Saturday, the Hoosiers sat in sixth place after posting rounds of 303 and 298. Illinois comfortably occupied first place by 25 strokes with two sub-par rounds under its belt.

The Hoosiers already trailed first-place Illinois by 38 strokes.

Senior David Mills provided the best score for the team through day one at 148, with back-to-back three-over-par scores. SFogg shot 156 through the first two rounds.
In the individual portion, Vea finished the first day in 10th place overall. In his first round as a Hoosier, he carded a one-under-par 70, tied for the second best score of the first round of the tournament.

“In Keegan Vea’s first tournament as a freshman, to open up with a 70 on that golf course makes a little bit of a statement,” Mayer said.

Also competing individually, sophomore Sean Stone shot a 152, and freshman Andrew Havill shot a 160.

On Sunday, Fogg picked up his game, paving the way for the Hoosiers with a 69.
Seger posted the next best score, with a three-over-par 74.

For the tournament, Fogg finished on top for the team at 225. Mills posted a 226 to finish tied for 28th. Kollin, Seger and Grubnich ended at 227, 228 and 229,
respectively.

Among the individuals, Vea carded an eight-over-par 79 to finish at 225 for the tournament. Stone shot 79 as well to finish at 231, and Havill closed with an 82 to finish at 242.

The Hoosiers will be off the next two weeks. They will return Oct. 14 at the Crooked Stick Intercollegiate.

Follow reporter Mike Nichols on Twitter @Mike_Nichols1.