Friday, Sept. 27

Nuestras Raices encourages sharing

CAROUSELNuestra Raices

The Latino Culture Center played host to Nuestras Raices, a gathering Wednesday night where people of all races shared poems, songs and testimonials about their culture.

Attendees laughed and cried while they shared their personal stories with each other.
Each performance was welcomed with cheers closed with applause.

Music, poetry and storytelling are all ways to reconnect to a culture, especially when you’re far away, said Diana Velazquez, who plays the guitar to reconnect herself to her Mexican roots.

“My dad taught me to play the guitar,” Velazquez said. “My dad is from Mexico, and when I play, it reminds me of him and connects me back to Mexico.”

Velazquez played a song she wrote for Nuestras Raices that included lyrics about her skin color and the way people perceive her in society.

Jose Medrano-Lopez said he empathizes with other Latinos who sometimes get discriminated against or who face difficulties in the community where there are few
Latinos.

“When you come to college, it’s a culture shock because you’re surrounded by so many people who are different than you,” Medrano-Lopez said. “Events like this happen once a month at La Casa. Sharing here is a release. It’s nice to have a chance to connect with people.”

Medrano-Lopez said he finds it particularly important to share his culture, if not for the continuation of his story, then at least for the recognition of everything his parents have done for him.

“I like to recognize what my parents did for me,” he said. “I’m a first generation college student, so it makes me want to try to succeed.”

Junior Deisy Lopez, who has worked at La Casa since she was a freshman, said such events remind people to keep their culture at the front of their minds, no matter what that culture may be.

“This event is open so people share stories and bring anything that connects them to their culture,” Lopez said.

Lopez said he didn’t those who aren’t Latino to not feel welcome.

“We are always happy to accommodate people of all cultures. There’s a misconception that La Casa only serves Latinos, but we want other people to join too.”

Velazquez said music and art help connect different cultures as well, which is an important part of what La Casa does for the community.

“Everyone in my family can sing,” Valazquez said. “It’s an important way to communicate.”

Follow reporter Janica Kaneshiro on Twitter @JanicaKaneshiro.