Friday, Oct. 4

sports women's basketball

Women's basketball faces late season test in second half of schedule

Late-season games in the IU women’s basketball team’s Big Ten schedule should prepare it well heading into the conference tournament. The Hoosiers’ final nine opponents had a combined Big Ten record of 78-66, a 0.542 winning percentage.

The Hoosiers’ final opponent of the first half of conference play is Northwestern Jan. 30. Last season, the Wildcats had the top field goal percentage defense in the Big Ten, holding opponents to 35.3 percent shooting.

IU begins the second half of conference play at Illinois Feb. 2. The Fighting Illini claimed the third-best team scoring average in the league at 68.9 points.

However, the Fighting Illini struggled to shoot the ball well. It shot only 71.1 percent from the free throw line, 39.3 percent from the field and 29 percent from the 3-point line. Those percentages were ninth, 10th and 11th in the Big Ten respectively.

Following Illinois will be IU’s second match-up against Wisconsin Feb. 8. The Badgers had the second-worst conference record last year, but boasted the best free throw shooting percentage at 0.770.

Feb. 13 will also feature another second match-up of the season, this time against the defending conference champion Penn State. The Nittany Lions finished last season with the largest scoring margin, +14.6, and highest team scoring average, 73.6, in the Big Ten.

IU will travel to Lincoln, Neb., Feb. 16 to face Nebraska for the first and only time in Big Ten play. The Cornhuskers had the second-best conference record at 12-4 and held opponents to 59 points per game last season.

After facing the Cornhuskers, the Hoosiers return to Bloomington to take on Michigan Feb. 19. The Wolverines were terrific at defending the perimeter last season, holding opponents to 30.3 percent shooting from the 3-point line.

Illinois travels to Bloomington for its second match-up of the season Feb. 22. IU will then face Minnesota for a second time Feb. 27.

The Hoosiers will finish up Big Ten play against Michigan State in East Lansing, Mich., March 2. The Spartans were the best defensive team in the conference last season, finishing first in scoring defense, second in field goal percentage defense and first in 3-point field goal percentage defense.

IU Coach Curt Miller and the Hoosiers will have their work cut out for them early in conference play, but a few repeat match-ups with opponents from earlier in the conference season will help them heading into the Big Ten tournament.

Follow reporter Stuart Jackson on Twitter @Stuart_Jackson1.