Friday, Oct. 4

Hoosier lose road opener 42-28

CAROUSELFootball vs MSU

EAST LANSING, MICH. — Coming into the game, it was a heavy-weight prize fight.

IU had the Big Ten’s best offense, averaging 535 yards per game. Michigan State had the conference’s best defense, giving up an average of 204 yards per game.

The defense won the fight.

“We weren’t going to win this game 17-13,” IU Coach Kevin Wilson said. “We needed a pick-six. We needed a punt block or a punt return, and we didn’t.”

IU (3-3, 1-1) fell to Michigan State (5-1, 2-0) 42-28 Saturday at Spartan Stadium.

IU jumped out to a quick lead. Sophomore running back Tevin Coleman ran up the middle for a 64-yard touchdown run on the game’s fourth play.

From that point, the Spartan defense contained Coleman and the rest of the Hoosier running game. Coleman had 15 yards on 14 carries the rest of the game.

“We were trying to look for holes inside, holes outside,” Coleman said. “But they’re a smart defense. They capitalized on that.”

Sophomore quarterback Nate Sudfeld was 14-30 for 137 yards with no touchdowns.

Despite not having a consistent running game, Sudfeld said he didn’t think that was the reason for the offense’s lack of production.

“I missed throws that were there, just some deep throws,” Sudfeld said. “I don’t think the run game affected us very much.”

Saturday’s contest was Sudfeld’s first career start on the road. The sophomore was pulled for another sophomore, Tre Roberson, at certain points in the game.

Roberson was 11-17 for 122 yards and two touchdowns, including going 3-3 for 35 yards and a touchdown on his first series of the game.

Despite Roberson being more statistically efficient than Sudfeld, Wilson said there is no controversy.

“Nate’s still our guy,” Wilson said. “But Tre can do some things ... I just think they’re both very gifted. And both uniquely gifted.”

Sudfeld was inaccurate on a few throws, missing some receivers who had created separation from the defense.

“I just missed a few shots. I was a hair off,” Sudfeld said. “Just on four or five deep balls we weren’t in sync like you have to be against such a good defense.”

In comparison, Michigan State was efficient against the Hoosier defense.

The team had 235 passing yards and 238 rushing yards. Before the game, the Spartans had averaged 355 yards per game. They bested that figure by 118 yards.

“This game came down to stopping the run and making tackles,” junior cornerback Tim Bennett said. “And we didn’t do a good job of that.”

Coming into the game IU had the conference’s worst defense. It allowed 453 yards per game. On Saturday, it gave up 473 yards.

“I think they’re the second most winning team in the last six or seven years since (Coach Mark Dantonio) has been up there,” Wilson said. “That ain’t an accident.”

Follow reporter Evan Hoopfer on Twitter @EvanHoopfer.