Friday, Oct. 4

IU defense allows Michigan State to convert 10 of 14 third downs

Football vs MSU

EAST LANSING, MICH. — IU had cut the deficit to seven in the middle of the third quarter and needed to make a stop.

Michigan State was facing a third-and-3 and attempted a pass that looked as if sophomore cornerback Michael Hunter had broken up for an incompletion.

The defense had made the stop they so desperately needed.

But the play went under review and was reversed. The Spartan receiver had made the catch. First down, Michigan State.

The Spartans went on to score later in the drive and extended the lead to 14.

“At our place we don’t have as many camera angles,” IU Coach Kevin Wilson said. “So, I said it would have been inconclusive at our place. These guys on ESPN got good camera angles. It would have been nice to have gotten that, but we needed more than that.”

In all, Michigan State was 10-for-14 in third-down conversions.

Coming into the game, Michigan State was 10th in the conference with a 39 percent third-down conversion rate.

IU’s defense was eighth in the conference, allowing a 40 percent third-down conversion rate for its opponents.

On Saturday, Michigan State converted 71 percent of its third downs.

At one point during the game, Michigan State converted 10 straight third downs. IU’s inability to get off the field allowed Michigan State to take a stranglehold on the lead and never let go.

Except for a muffed punt, the Spartans scored a touchdown in five straight possessions during their third-down conversion barrage.

Wilson said the key was the Spartans’ ability to put themselves in third and-manageable by doing well on second and first down.

“They worked their quarterback run game,” he said. “They worked their wildcat offense. They worked their high percentage passing.”

Unable to get off the field, IU’s defense was on the field for 37 minutes and 28 seconds.

The Hoosier defense is used to being on the field longer than other teams’ defenses. The offense has the lowest time of possession in the Big Ten because of its up-tempo style.

The offense holds the ball for an average of 25 minutes and 36 seconds per game.
Conversely, Michigan State has the highest time of possession, holding the ball for an average of 34 minutes and 10 seconds per game.

Despite being on the field for 62 percent of the game, junior cornerback Tim Bennett said getting winded was not an issue.

“As a defense, we’re great conditioning-wise,” Bennett said. “The coaches do a great job conditioning us. I was perfect. I was fine.”

Despite the defense struggling all day on third down, Wilson said he isn’t considering slowing down the tempo of the offense.

“We actually did that our first year (2011), and offensively it was our worst statistical year,” Wilson said. “Our deal is we’ve got to score some points ... We went into this game and I think we were ahead of Oregon in time of possession. I think they’re second in the country in scoring.”

Follow reporter Evan Hoopfer on Twitter @EvanHoopfer.