Friday, Sept. 27

Jazz Ensemble plays Latin-inspired music

Latin Jazz Ensemble

The Musical Arts Center came alive Monday night with the sounds of congas, wild saxophone solos and colorful trumpet melodies when the Jacobs School of Music Latin Jazz Ensemble took the stage.

The jazz ensemble, directed by Michael Spiro and Wayne Wallace, is comprised of 27 musicians.

The ages of the members of the ensemble group range from undergraduates to masters students at IU.

Almost half of them make up the rhythm section of the group, which boasts a handful of Latin percussion instruments.

Donning Hawaiian shirts, white pants and the occasional beret, the ensemble filed onstage.

The musicians played five diverse Latin-jazz inspired songs during the
performance.

These songs showcased several instrumentalists in brass, percussion and guitar solos.

“I like the feel of it, and the groove,” Rachel Rodgers said of the Latin jazz music style. “It’s very cultural.”

Rodgers is the only flute player in the ensemble.

She also said that being a member of the jazz ensemble exposes her to a world music that she’d never explored before becoming a member.

Rodgers, among other students in Jacobs, auditioned for the ensemble earlier in the fall.

Students interested in jazz music auditioned and were later offered positions in an array of ensembles.

One the students were offered positions, they were then able to choose from among the offers.

Although she’s a classical music major, Rogers said she has grown to love jazz music.

“It’s probably my favorite ensemble,” she said.

“The combination of rhythm and (melody) is what makes the Latin-jazz genre so appealing,” conductor Spiro said.

He was the sole director of the group for five years, but was joined recently by Wallace.

Onstage, the two danced, smiled and moved with the music, celebrating their ensemble’s hard work.

After countless hours in rehearsal with the group, he said he was looking forward to leaving the practice room and performing onstage for an audience.

Those present clapped along with the grooves and singing along to the third piece of music.

This song was a call-and-response number entitled “Mambo en Blues” featuring solo vocalist Yurira Rodríguez.

Second year master’s student and jazz bassist Anna Butterss said she enjoys the joy that Latin-jazz music brings to her.

“It’s really fun to play,” she said.

She also said she likes to see fellow musicians and listeners supporting and enjoying the music.

“It makes me feel good about life, and it makes people want to sing and dance. It’s like a big party,” she said.

Follow reporter Anicka Slachta on Twitter @ajslachta.