Friday, Oct. 4

Michigan State beats IU 42-28

EAST LANSING, MICH. -- In a much hyped matchup between IU’s offense and Michigan State’s defense, the Spartans prevailed.

Michigan State (5-1, 2-0) defeated IU (3-3, 1-1) 42-28 on Saturday.

The Spartan offense was the prolific unit in today’s game, and it exhibited great balance. Michigan State had 235 passing yards and 238 rushing yards.

In comparison, IU had 259 passing yards and 92 rushing yards. It was the first time all season IU didn’t have over 300 passing yards.

Spartan running back Jeremy Langford had a big day, rushing for 109 yards and three touchdowns. He added a receiving touchdown also.

Michigan State also had Delton Williams run amok on the Hoosier defense. He had 92 yards on 12 carries.

After a 64-yard touchdown run by sophomore running back Tevin Coleman, the Spartan defense bottled up the sophomore.

Minus his big run, he had 15 yards on 14 carries.

For the first time since Navy, junior wide receiver Cody Latimer did not have over 100 yards. He finished with a team high seven catches for 58 yards.

The usually good sophomore quarterback Nate Sudfeld had a poor statistical game. The Calf. native was 14-30 for 137 yards. The Spartan defense bothered him all afternoon.

Sophomore quarterback Tre Roberson came in to spell Sudfeld at points during the game and provided a spark for the Hoosier offense.

He was 11-17 for 122 yards and two touchdowns.

Despite Roberson’s proficiency, IU Coach Kevin Wilson said there is no quarterback controversy, Sudfeld is still the starter.