Thursday, Sept. 26

Ballet Hispanico debuts at Auditorium

entHispanico

Ballet Hispanico will make its premiere Bloomington performance at 8 p.m. Nov. 16, at the IU Auditorium.

The company, which has been together for more than 40 years, is led by Artistic Director Eduardo Vilaro.

Known for its distinct style, Ballet Hispanico infuses elements of Latin dance into classical and modern dance techniques.

The company’s repertoire features more than 100 works from modern dance choreographers and more than 75 works from dancers and choreographers throughout the world.

In addition to the Auditorium performance, members of the troupe will hold residency activities with campus groups such as La Casa Latino Cultural Center, IU Residential Programs and Services and IU Contemporary Dance.

Activities will include lectures, panel discussions and master classes.

Formed in 1970 by dancer/choreographer Tina Ramirez, Ballet Hispanico has performed for more than 3 million people around the world, including performances at the John F. Kennedy Center and Chicago’s Auditorium Theatre.

The Bloomington performance is being presented by a grant from the New England Foundation for the Arts as well as the 2013 IU Themester.

IU Auditorium Director Doug Booher said in a press release the Auditorium is happy to welcome such an acclaimed dance company.

“Ballet Hispanico is not only one of the foremost dance ensemble in the nation, it is leading the way for bringing the beauty and sophistication of Latin culture to the United States and beyond,” Booher said. “It is an honor to host them during their stay.”

— Carolyn Crowcroft