Friday, Oct. 4

Davis, Robinson make first appearance in game

spIUBB

Freshman guard Stan Robinson sat in front of reporters Monday night after IU’s 79-39 exhibition victory against Hillsdale College and couldn’t resist making a joke.

During the game, Robinson, making his first game appearance at Assembly Hall, was fouled when he had an open path to the basket on a fast break. He said before the foul he had big plans for what he thought would be his first-ever dunk in an IU uniform.

“I was definitely planning a 360 windmill between the legs,” he said, smiling.

“Yeah, right,” sophomore guard Kevin “Yogi” Ferrell replied, laughing.

In IU’s first exhibition game last Saturday, all but two IU players saw action because of injuries: Robinson and freshman forward Devin Davis.

Monday night, both made their Assembly Hall debuts in the first half in IU’s final tuneup before the regular season starts Friday.

Davis came in first, entering with 14 minutes and 23 seconds to go in the half. Less than three minutes later, he made his way onto the stat sheet, recording a steal.
He finished with five points and six rebounds during 12 minutes of play.

Robinson entered the game at the eight-minute mark in the first half to some applause.

It was Robinson’s hard-driving attack to the basket with 6 minutes and 28 seconds to go in the opening half that he finished with a layup to put IU up for good at 17-16.
It was IU’s first lead since 2-0, and was part of, at that moment, a 15-3 run. IU would finish the half on a 31-11 run after trailing 13-2 early.

After Robinson’s layup — his first points as a Hoosier — IU would never trail.

The lefty scored his first basket going at the right side of the rim.

Robinson finished with a final line of nine points, two assists, two rebounds and two steals in 11 minutes of action.

Davis recorded his first points from the foul line, getting there after tallying his second offensive rebound of the first half.

With extra loft on his shot, he converted both of his foul shots.

The two would link up in the second half with 6 minutes and 50 seconds to go when Robinson helped to alter a shot and Davis got the ball in the open court and converted a right-handed layup while getting fouled.

Davis converted the free throw, making him a perfect 3-for-3 on the night, to round out his scoring.

That wasn’t Robinson’s only defensive contribution.

With little more than 14 minutes remaining in the second half, Robinson applied pressure to the ball, diving at it as it sailed out of bounds.

It remained Hillsdale’s ball, but Robinson’s effort brought the Assembly Hall crowd to its feet.

After Hillsdale inbounded the ball, Robinson made the steal during the possession, taking it the length of the court.

That was when he had planned for the 360, windmill, between-the-legs slam.
“With Stan, I think Stan got his fuel from defense,” Ferrell said. “Stan has long arms. He’s a great on-ball defender. He gets many deflections. I know he was one of the top three leading in deflections when he was healthy for practice.

“Once his defense got going, he just pretty much flowed right in the game. And he just drived the ball well, finishing.”  

Follow reporter Robby Howard on Twitter @robbyhoward1.