Friday, Oct. 4

Ferrell makes leadership jump

IUMBB

When sophomore guard Kevin “Yogi” Ferrell and senior forward Will Sheehey went to Russia to play for Team USA in the World University Games last summer, Ferrell was the youngest player on the roster — the only freshman on the team.

He didn’t start during any of the team’s eight games, but he did become one of the most used players off the bench.

Against the United Arab Emirates on July 7 in the team’s first game, Ferrell played 24 minutes, the most minutes on the team, and led the team in assists with 13.

Two games later, against Sweden, he led the team in scoring, netting 20 points.

“His role there really jumped,” Sheehey said of Ferrell.

It wasn’t easy for Ferrell as the youngest guy leading some of the top players in college basketball. Then he got used to it.

“That was definitely fun, trying to lead some of the other top guys on their college team,” he said. “It was a little difficult at times. I felt like maybe if I would’ve led them a little quicker, a little earlier, we could’ve gotten to where we wanted to get, but we didn’t.”

Coming back to IU, Ferrell is seen as one of the leaders of the team. He started all 36 games for IU last year.

Sheehey, the only other returning IU player who had started games prior to the 2013-14 season, has only started 19 games in his career.

“Leadership, I feel like, may come from me and Will just because we have the most experience I’d say just from last year,” Ferrell said. “I feel like me and Will are definitely going to have to take that leadership role.”

IU Coach Tom Crean said he likes the leadership both have provided.

But he said Ferrell’s personal success ultimately hinges on how well he does as a leader on the team this year.

“He’s got to understand that his greatness is going to come this year from what kind of leadership he provides on a consistent basis when it’s not comfortable or convenient,” Crean said. “Can he get to the basket at a high level, especially with the way these rules are?”

Ferrell is the second leading returning scorer from last year’s team, but he was never one of the primary offensive options last year.

Ferrell said the biggest thing he worked on in the offseason was his perimeter jump shot.

Crean said Ferrell is now the most consistent 3-point shooter in practice on the team.

“His shooting has improved tremendously,” Crean said. “There’s been nobody that has come in that gets paid to evaluate that hasn’t made a comment about his improvement, especially on the offensive side.”

When Crean talks about the top point guards in the league, he often mentions Ohio State’s Aaron Craft. He said Ferrell needs to use Craft as a model and work to get to his level.

During Big Ten Media Day, Craft approached Ferrell and shook his hand. Ferrell smiled, and the two briefly exchanged words.

As much as Crean talks about Craft, Craft had a good deal to say about Ferrell.

“Sometimes he’s going to beat you. That happens,” Craft said. “Great players make great plays sometimes. You got to have a short-term memory and move on to the next play and just try to let him know you’re going to be there every possession, regardless of what happens, and hopefully you get him to make a couple of mistakes.”

Iowa’s Aaron White played on Team USA during the summer with Ferrell. He said playing with him was fun and the two are friends now.

White said he was happy Ferrell was on his team for eight games and he didn’t have to play him while Ferrell was wearing cream and crimson.

“I know going against him, you can’t keep him in front,” White said. “We tried to press him a little bit last year, and you really can’t. He just dribbles through the defense, and he was doing the same thing overseas. He’s just so quick and so explosive.”

Follow reporter Robby Howard on Twitter @robbyhoward1.