Friday, Oct. 4

IU beats Stony Brook 90-74

Despite struggles from the free throw line, the IU men’s basketball team moved to 4-0 Sunday evening after a 90-74 victory against Stony Brook at Assembly Hall.

Senior forward Will Sheehey and sophomore guard Kvin “Yogi” Ferrell started IU’s game Sunday against Stony Brook off strong with seven points and three assists between them in the opening minutes.

But the team’s struggles from the free throw line prevented the Hoosiers from running away with the game in the first 20 minutes, heading into the locker room with a 41-35 lead against the Seawolves.

Freshman forward Noah Vonleh went to the line on seven occasions, which seemed to be part of the plan from Stony Brook early. He missed his first three from the line and finished the half six-for-12 from the charity stripe.

In total, six players from IU missed at least one free throw in the first half, finishing with a line of 15-for-28.

Vonleh and Ferrell led IU with 10 points each in the first half. Ferrell added four assists, and Vonleh pulled down seven boards. Sheehey followed with nine points, but he scored just two of them in the final 17 minutes of the half.

In the second half, Sheehey’s troubles continued to plague the senior. He received his third foul of the game less than a minute in and was soon taken out. After about six minutes on the bench, he came back in but was called for his fourth. And took a seat.

Just 11 seconds into his next trip to the floor in garbage time, he was called for a hip-check and exited the game.

But his teammates succeeded in managing the game without their lone senior leader. After a quick four-point burst from Stony Brook to start the half, the Hoosiers pushed their lead back into double-digits with 17 minutes and six seconds left in the half, and that’s where the lead stayed.

Ferrell led the Hoosiers with a 24-point night, just two off his career-high he set Friday against Samford. Vonleh followed with 18 points and 15 rebounds for his fourth double-double to start his IU career.

Nathan Brown