Friday, Oct. 4

Men’s rugby seeks Big Ten Title

spRugby

As the Big Ten Championship against No. 12 Michigan approaches at 2 p.m. this Saturday at Moose Grounds Field in Elkhart, Ind., the IU men’s rugby team is not letting its No. 9 rank get to its head.

Heading into Saturday, the team has an overall record of 8-1 and is 6-0 in conference.

The team beat No. 17 Ohio State last Saturday 37-0.

“Our defense played a hell of a game, and we were able to move the ball around,” said Stephen Fairley, IU men’s rugby team president.

Having defeated non-conference ranked opponent Ball State in exhibition 104-0 and ranked conference teams Illinois, Purdue, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Iowa and Ohio State, IU’s strategy is not going to change for Michigan in the championship.

“We’re just looking at it one game at a time,” Fairley said.

Head Coach Sarasopa Enari said he has no doubt his team can handle Michigan, but he knows it will be a test.

“They are much bigger than any other team we have seen this year. It’s not going to be an easy game,” he said.

Being undefeated in conference is a goal the team set for itself in the beginning of the season.

Enari, who coached the team for more than 10 years from the mid-1990s to the mid-2000s, returned to coach the team this year.

“The first thing I did was talk to them, and we set the goals, and they wanted to win the Big Ten,” Enari said.

It was not easy for the team to accept Enari at first, as the team was used to just showing up to play and not being serious in previous years, Fairley said.

The adjustment of a new coaching staff and losing key players from last year has made this year a rebuilding year, Fairley said, which has been the biggest obstacle for the team.

“Coach Enari coming in had a completely different mindset than any other coach the boys have had,” Fairley said. “But after we started winning ... it really made the guys trust in him and his coaching staff and everything we were moving toward.”

The team has continued to work hard, which, Fairley said, is something Enari expects out of everyone on the team.

The matchup last Saturday against Ohio State left some players “pretty banged up,” Fairley said.

“We are going to see who shows up at practice and who is healthy on Saturday,” he said.

Since the Wolverines are physically bigger players than the Hoosiers’ roster, Enari said all 15 guys on the team will need to work together and spread the ball evenly to get past Michigan and win the Big Ten.

The team is led by senior eight-man and captain Issac Hall, Fairley said.

“He has done a very good job on and off the field, just taking charge and adding to the hard-working attitude of the team,” Fairley said.

Although its initial goal was to win the Big Ten, Enari said the team is starting to think even bigger now.

“The boys want to take the whole thing and make Big Ten and Nationals,” Enari said.

Follow reporter Angela Hawkins on Twitter @angelalhawkins.