Friday, Oct. 4

IU cruises past North Florida 89-68

After North Florida crept within four points midway through the first half, the IU men’s basketball team tore off to a 17-point first half lead and eventually an 89-68 victory Saturday night at Assembly Hall.

The Hoosiers started the game early with great ball movement, managing to make the extra pass and find the open man – skill they struggled with in the second half against Syracuse Tuesday. IU recorded assists on each of the team’s first six buckets.

Early, though, the Ospreys continued to stay tough as IU led 12-10, but the Hoosiers went on a 7-0 run.

But six turnovers in more than five minutes after the Hoosiers recorded just one in the game’s first six minutes allowed the Ospreys to get back within four points at 28-24.

IU caught fire again with great ball movement and transition play to close the half on a 24-11 run and gain as much as a 20-point lead.

In the second half, the Hoosiers let the Ospreys back within 12 points off a 7-2 run to open the half, but with solid bench production, IU broke the game wide open.

Backup senior guard Evan Gordon led the Hoosiers with a season-high 15 points to go along with four rebounds, two assists and a steal.

Starting sophomore guard Kevin “Yogi” Ferrell followed with 14 points and seven of IU’s 17 assists. Fellow starters freshman forward Noah Vonleh and sophomore guard Jeremy Hollowell added 13 and 12 points, respectively.

During the heart of IU’s big second half run, sophomore forward Hanner Mosquera-Perea and freshman center Luke Fischer each scored six-straight points in back-to-back stretches as IU’s lead went from 22 to 32 points.

Sophomore forward Austin Etherington also added six points off the bench with two 3-pointers.

Nathan Brown