Friday, Oct. 4

Column: The Wisconsin curse is real

This is not a joke. The curse Wisconsin athletics has over IU athletics is legitimate.
No. 3 Wisconsin (16-0, 3-0) has the advantage of just being a better basketball team when they play IU (11-5, 1-2) at 7 p.m. on ESPN.

But they also have the advantage of Wisconsin having IU’s number in several sports.
In IU’s last 12 games against Wisconsin, the men’s basketball team is 0-12.

But the curse extends to more than men’s basketball.
In the last nine football games IU and Wisconsin have played, IU is 0-9.

IU is on a losing trend in several sports against Wisconsin. 0-8 in wrestling, 7-27 volleyball, 1-5 in women’s basketball, 1-5 in women’s soccer and 4-10 in softball.

IU has dominated in women’s tennis (9-1) and men’s soccer (17-2-2).

Wisconsin doesn’t have a baseball program. Probably because IU would actually have success against them.

But none of the contests between the two schools has drawn more attention than the men’s basketball series.

For whatever reason, IU just can’t get over the hump. Even last year’s team went 0-2 against the Badgers, failing to reach 60 points in either game.

The Badgers’ 16-0 start is the best in program history. As usual, they have one of the best defenses in the country, ranking 12th in the nation according to kenpom.com.
Wisconsin still plays at a snail’s pace. Out of 351 teams Wisconsin is ranked No. 304 in adjusted tempo.

But they are incredible offensive efficiency.

In three conference games the Badgers have averaged 82 points and just 6.7 turnovers a game. They have the fourth-best offense in the country, according to kenpom.com.

To pull off the major upset, IU will need to control the pace. This game needs to be fast-paced for IU, not allowing Wisconsin to set up their lethal half-court offense. Or defense, for that matter.

IU should have an advantage on the glass.

In the last five games, Wisconsin’s featured includes playing Traevon Jackson (6-foot-2), Ben Brust (6-foot-1), Josh Gasser (6-foot-3) nearly 30 percent of the time together. This is by far their most-used lineup, meaning the Badgers feature three players 6-foot-3 or shorter. The Hoosiers, one of the best rebounding teams in the nation, should have an advantage on the boards.

The Hoosiers need to use their length to disrupt the Badger passing lanes, push the pace so Wisconsin doesn’t set up their half-court offense or defense and dominate the glass to get second chance points for an upset.

However, I don’t see the Hoosiers winning this game. Wisconsin will be able to control the pace and make this game a half-court affair. The Hoosiers don’t have the discipline to beat one of the country’s best teams playing their own game.

Prediction — Wisconsin 73, IU 61.

Evan Hoopfer is 5-2 in predictions this season.
­
— ehoopfer@indiana.edu

Follow columnist
Evan Hoopfer on Twitter
@EvanHoopfer