Friday, Oct. 4

IU hires McDaniel to be defensive line coach

IU announced Tuesday afternoon in a press release that the Hoosier football program has hired Larry McDaniel to be the team's defensive line coach.

McDaniel spent the past three years at Bowling Green State University as the Falcons' defensive line coach.

“Larry is a very impressive coach and has always been on our radar,” IU Coach Kevin Wilson said in the release. “He is a former Hoosier captain, graduate assistant and Kelley School of Business alum. Larry has coached the MAC Defensive Player of the Year two of the last four seasons. His linemen are always fundamentally sound, physical and well coached. Larry is a great fit for what we want to accomplish on defense and we welcome him, his wife Arlena, and their three children to Indiana.”

McDaniel played and started for the Hoosiers from 1989 to 1992 at nose guard.

“I am so happy Coach Wilson reached out to me and gave me this opportunity,” McDaniel said in the release. “It’s a thrill to come back to Indiana University. Where I am in the coaching industry is a direct result of what I learned from my mentors at IU. Coach Bill Mallory was instrumental in my development as a coach and a man. To have the chance to give that knowledge back to these young men at Indiana is a dream come true.”

In the 2013 season, Bowling Green had a 10-4 record, which included a MAC Championship and an appearance in the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl.

The Falcons led the MAC in rushing yards allowed at 150.6 yards per game.

McDaniel will is the second coach hired by IU football in as many days. The Hoosiers announced Monday that they hired Brian Knorr to become the team's defensive coordinator.

--Andy Wittry