Friday, Oct. 4

Knorr named defensive coordinator

IU football has hired Brian Knorr as the new defensive coordinator, according to a University press release.

At 11:19 a.m. Sunday, IU Coach Kevin Wilson welcomed Knorr and his family to the "Hoosier nation" in the release.

“Brian is a strong addition to our coaching staff," Wilson said. "He brings tremendous experience and a solid background having coached on both sides of the ball, as a defensive coordinator and as an FBS head coach. We are excited to work together to take a positive step in building a winning program that our players and fans deserve.”

Knorr was most recently the defensive coordinator at Wake Forest for the past three seasons.

“Having known Coach Wilson for the past 20 years, his personality and the type of team he fields, I am excited to join his staff,” Knorr said in the release. “There is a buzz about the direction IU Football is headed in and I look forward to bringing some of the toughness and aggressiveness that I know Coach Wilson wants to implement on the defensive side of the ball.”

In 2013, Knorr led a defense that finished fifth in the ACC (out of 14 teams) in scoring defense and total defense, giving up 24.1 points and 366 yards a game.

Wake Forest head coach Jim Grobe resigned on Dec. 2 after a 4-8 season. His whole staff, including Knorr, was replaced.

On Jan. 10 it was announced that Air Force had hired Knorr to their staff. Knorr was a graduate of the Air Force Academy. His official role was yet to be determined.

Jan. 10 was also the day former IU defensive coordinator Doug Mallory was fired. IU had one of the worst defenses in the country last season.

The Hoosier defense finished 2013 ranked last in the Big Ten in scoring defense (38.8 points per game), total defense (527.9 yards per game), passing defense (290.2 yards per game) and opponent first downs (25.8 per game).

Just nine days after accepting a position at Air Force, Knorr is reportedly being linked to the defensive coordinator job at IU.

During his time at Wake Forest, he implemented a 3-4 defense. He had mixed results before putting together a solid defense in 2013.

In 2012, the Wake Forest defense gave up an average of 32 points and 433 yards a game.

The previous year the Demon Deacon defense gave up an average of 27 points and 398 yards a game.

So in Knorr’s three years at Wake Forest, his defense gave up an average of 28 points and 399 yards a game.

In comparison, the IU defense the last three years (all under Mallory) gave up an average of 37 points and 484 yards per game.

In addition to his role at Wake Forest, Knorr was also the head coach of Ohio University from 2001-2004.

In his four seasons as the Bobcats head coach, he went 11-35 with no bowls berths or MAC championships.

This story will be updated.

Evan Hoopfer and Andy Wittry