Friday, Oct. 4

North Carolina hires Littrell, IU promotes Johns

Updated at 4:35 p.m. on Tuesday, January 21.

Offensive coordinator Seth Littrell has left IU to take the same position at the University of North Carolina, according to a University release.

Inside Indiana reported the coaching change Monday afternoon before IU confirmed the news around 4 p.m. Tuesday.

"We wish Seth, his wife Becca, and their family nothing but the best," IU Coach Kevin Wilson said in the release. "He was a strong addition to our staff the last two years and did a great job developing our offense."

Kevin Johns, who previously held the positions of co-offensive coordinator, quarterbacks coach and wide receivers coach, will be promoted to offensive coordinator. Former recruiting and special teams coordinator James Patton will coach IU's tight ends and fullbacks.

"With the way our staff is structured, we will maintain five coaches on defense and four on offense," Wilson said. "I will continue to be a major part of our offensive game planning and play calling. Kevin Johns will assume the responsibilities of offensive coordinator and James Patton, who I have a long history with on the offensive side of the ball, will coach the tight ends and fullbacks. We are comfortable with our staff heading into National Signing Day. We will complete the recruiting cycle and make our final hire in the weeks to come."

Littrell was the offensive coordinator the last two seasons for IU.

The unit put together some of the most prolific offenses in program history.

Last season, IU was second in the Big Ten in points (38), yards (509) and firsts downs (25) a game.

IU led the Big Ten in passing offense with 307 passing yards a game. IU was the only Big Ten team to average over 300 passing yards a game.

The 2013 year was a record season for the IU offense, breaking many records for the 129-year old program.

The team set school records in total yards, points, passing touchdowns, total touchdowns and total first downs.

--Evan Hoopfer and Andy Wittry