Thursday, Sept. 26

Rock cover group to return, perform at Bluebird

Chicago cover group Rod Tuffcurls and The Bench Press will perform on Jan. 24 at the Bluebird Night Club in downtown Bloomington.

Rod Tuffcurls and the other members of the group — C.c. Ryder, Happy Masterson, and Dick Celebrity ­— create their own unique blend of cover jams, singing hits from the Beatles, Madonna, musicals, television theme songs and Miley Cyrus.

They primarily perform at bars, clubs, weddings and festivals.

“We like to have Rod Tuffcurls and his group members come in to our bar once every month on a weekend,” said David Kubiak, Bluebird owner and booker.

The group is known for its crazy and flamboyant fashion and performing style.
Kubiak said their music is very accessible and easy to get into.

“They really create a great party atmosphere that brings the house down at the Bluebird,” he said.

For its performance on Friday night, the group will be doing its usual covers of an assortment of today’s pop hits, wedding jams and ’60s music.

According to the band’s main website, rodtuffcurls.com, its favorite songs to cover are: “Like a Prayer,” “Call Me Maybe,” “Roar,” “Twist & Shout,” “Rocket Man” and “Wrecking Ball.”

“We combine competent musicianship, bone-crushing harmonies, and interesting song choices to make our covers livelier, memorable and more entertaining,” said band member Rod Tuffcurls.

Tuffcurls said this combination makes it impossible to be in a bad mood.

“They’re a lot of fun, super goofy, play covers, just an all-around good time,” Kubiak said.

Follow reporter Anthony Broderick on Twitter @aebrodakirck.