Friday, Oct. 4

sports men's soccer

Thompson signs MLS homegrown contract

Freshman forward Tommy Thompson has signed a Homegrown contract with Major League Soccer's San Jose Earthquakes and will leave the IU men's soccer program after just one season, according to an IU press release.

Thompson, who took home Big Ten Freshman of the Year honors after the 2013 season, scored five goals and tallied 13 points, both tied for team highs.

IU Coach Todd Yeagley said Thompson's departure will add to IU's tradition of producing professional players.

“Tommy has an incredible opportunity to join San Jose as a Homegrown signee,” Yeagley said in the press release. “Although his time at IU was short, he left a very positive mark on our program on and off the field. Tommy will join a distinguished group of IU greats who are representing the University and our soccer program with distinction within Major League Soccer.”

The MLS Homegrown Player Rule allows teams to sign up to two players per year from their development academies directly to the first-team roster. Players who sign Homegrown contracts may earn more than the league's rookie minimum and do not have their salaries count against their club's salary cap.

Before coming to IU, Thompson was a part of San Jose's development system, being promoted as high as the Earthquakes' reserve squad before beginning his college career.

He said in the press release that the decision was difficult, but ultimately the correct one for his career.

“I don’t know if I’ve ever had to make a more difficult decision,” he said. “This past semester has been the best few months of my life. It was hard to leave such great staff, players, fans and facilities.

“However, San Jose has provided me with an opportunity to make a life-long dream come true. It has been an absolute pleasure here in Bloomington and I could not be happier with my decision to attend IU. Thank you to everyone for the unbelievable support, and I look forward to starting the next chapter of my life.”

He is first player in IU men's soccer history to sign a Homegrown deal with an MLS club.

With Thompson's departure, IU has now lost seven starters from the 2013 squad. Midfielders Harrison Petts, A.J. Corrado, Jacob Bushue and Nikita Kotlov have exhausted their eligibility and junior Dylan Mares gave up his final year of eligibility to enter the MLS SuperDraft earlier in the week.

— Alden Woods