Friday, Oct. 4

IU relay runs best time in program history

Before Saturday, Jordan Gornall, Derrick Morgan, Tre’tez Kinnaird and Rorey Hunter had never competed in a relay together.

But after running the fifth-fastest distance medley relay in collegiate history, their names will forever be cemented together in the IU record books.

The quartet bolted across the 4000-meter finish line in  nine minutes and 27.72 seconds — the best time in program history.

IU Coach Ron Helmer said his athletes had the capability all along.

“We knew it was coming,” he said. “But with young, developing athletes, you can’t always go out on command and pull out a national championship time. We had that opportunity today.”

It was Gornall who started with the baton, covering the first 1200 meters in two minutes and 53.5 seconds.

He handed it off to Morgan, one of only two seniors on the IU men’s team, who scorched the 400-meter leg in 47.1 seconds.

Then, with his last chance to qualify for indoor nationals hanging in the balance, Morgan passed on the torch to the freshman Kinnaird.

Kinnaird ran a personal best — 1:49 in the 800-meter-leg — a two-second improvement from his performance a week ago.

“Tre’tez is the kind of high-talent kid who loves to race,” Helmer said. “The other guys, they’re just really cool, calm and collected competitors. They’re not flashy, they’re not showy, they just stay composed and continue to give their teammates a chance.”

Hunter kept his composure through the final 1600 meters. The junior coasted behind front-runners from Arkansas and Notre Dame until the final lap, where he outraced the field to finish in three minutes and 58.1 seconds.

It was the first sub-four-minute mile for IU all season.

“Rorey came off that last turn and ran away from everybody,” Helmer said. “It was a very impressive run, but a very controlled and composed run at the same time.”

Hunter was the missing piece for the Hoosiers’ distance medley relay. He joined the lineup for the first time when he laced up on Saturday.

But as a member of last year’s fourth place distance medley relay, it was a spot he had been in before.

With the combination of their experience and youth, the quartet shaved 13 seconds off its previous time.

The Hoosiers climbed from 14th to second in the national rankings and will compete at the NCAA Indoor Championship in Albuquerque, N.M., on March 28.

Helmer said the record-setting victory at the Alex Wilson Invitational will continue to motivate his athletes as they prepare for nationals throughout the next two weeks.

“When you run that kind of time against that kind of competition, it’s no fluke,” Helmer said. “It’s the real deal, which means they’re the real deal. I couldn’t be happier for them.”

Follow reporter Tori Ziege on Twitter @ToriZiege.