Wednesday, Sept. 18

Make up artist Renner takes the stage

Every dirty detail of Catherine Martin’s costume designs have been extensively discussed, down to the historically-accurate Skull and Bone Yale Social Club logo stitched on the interior of Tom Buchanan and Nick Carraway’s Brooks Brothers suits in the “Great Gatsby.” And I’m not even sure they were shown in the film.

I want to chat about something new.

In December, “American Hustle” graced theaters with costumes done by Michael Wilkinson. The designer wasn’t designing for a timepiece quite as elegant as Gatsby, but he made up for it in 1970s gaudiness.

I want to talk about Jeremy Renner, who appeared in “American Hustle.” His and Wilkinson’s past are both tied to action flicks.

Wilkinson designed costumes for “300” and “Man of Steel,” and Renner played Hawkeye in “The Avengers.”

Before his days as Marvel superhero, Renner spent his days as a make-up artist.

Renner cannot only cause black eyes, but do the perfect smoky eye.

The actor said it was perfect for the beginning of his acting career when the alternative for most budding actors was waiting tables. Eventually, Renner got his breakout role in “The Hurt Locker.”

This year, Wilkinson was nominated for the 86th Academy Awards Best Costume Design for “American Hustle.”

All the films nominated were period pieces, so this was expected. However, unexpected were the nominees for Hair and Makeup. 

“American Hustle” did not get a nomination, though the facial hair alone for Oscar Nominee for Actor in a Leading Role, Christian Bale, was quite astonishing for the actor most of us are used to seeing clean cut in movies like “American Psycho” and “The Dark Knight.”

However, what did get nominated was “The Lone Ranger” — because Johnny Depp looks terrific in face paint — “Dallas Buyers Club,” and lastly, shockingly, “Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa.”

The last received laughs and a number of critiques.

However, after a VICE special on the making of the movie, Stephen Prouty’s ability to transform 41-year-old Johnny Knoxville into an 86-year-old grandpa provedto be
unprecedented.

The transformation, down to every airbrushed wrinkle and nose hair, had to be similar enough to make the character the same in each scene.

The truth is, no matter how typical this year’s costume designs are or how atypical hair and makeup are, it’s nice to see a little influx of male creative involvement in an otherwise female-dominated category.

kelcollisi@indiana.edu