Wednesday, Sept. 25

University Players perform originals

entUP

University Players, a student-run theater organization, will present “Virginal Works,” a duo of undergraduate plays, this weekend in the Studio Theatre of the Lee Norvelle Theatre and Drama Center.

Students will perform “Food for Thought” by sophomore Nick Pappas and “Catch and Release” by junior Sam Barkley.

Though University Players always presents productions that are student-directed and student-produced, junior Katherine Taylor, the director of “Catch and Release,” said it has never performed pieces that were student-written.

“‘Virginal Works’ is a chance to see a world premiere,” Taylor said. “It is the newest thing on campus as far as theater goes and is one of a kind.”

Sophomore Alexandra Goodman, the marketing director for University Players, said preparation for this event began last spring when the plays were selected for
performance. 

She said because this is the first year for “Virginal Works,” “Food for Thought” and “Catch and Release,” they were the only plays submitted. Goodman said she hopes entries will grow in years to come.

“Hopefully when we do this again in the future we will have a ton of submissions to chose from, and we will be able to get people involved from the English department, creative writing, really anywhere,” she said.

“Food for Thought” will show tonight and Saturday at 8 p.m. “Catch and Release” will show at 11 p.m. today and Saturday at 2:30 p.m. Admission is free, and the plays contain mature content.

Pappas, who wrote “Food for Thought,” is a musical theater major. He said he was inspired to write this play after he had a mishap with a fast food order.

“I had ordered some pizza during rehearsal and never got it, so I decided to call up and yell at someone and basically do no good,” Pappas said. “I told my good friend who had worked in food service about this, and she really set me straight.”

The tale is about eight young people who become comically intertwined after one of them places an order at a pizza restaurant. By writing the play, he wanted to portray young love in a more reasonable light than is done in mainstream media,
Pappas said.

“I’m not trying to write anything symbolic,” he said. “I just want to tell a realistic story in kind of an extreme way.”

The second of the student playwrights, Barkley, said he draws the inspiration for his writings from other poignant works as opposed to his own experiences.
He said the story of “Catch and Release,” an intense interaction between a power-hungry mall security guard and a helpless patron who has been handcuffed to a bench, was inspired by playwright Edward Albee’s “Zoo Story.”

“I am really fascinated by plays that focus on dialogue between two characters who are busy trying to figure each other out,” Barkley said.

Barkley said he has been working on this play for more than a year and a half.

Watching the work he has created come to life before his eyes is indescribable, he said, but it is even stranger to try to critique his own brainchild.

“Trying to examine your play is like trying to look at your own nose or bite your own teeth,” he said. “It’s so weird to be on the inside looking out.”

Barkley said he encourages students to come to “Virginal Works” for the experience of live performance. The palpable connection shared between the performers and the audience is something that cannot be manufactured, he said.

“Ultimately, plays are about people,” Barkley said. “Whether you’re an economics major or an English major, you are a person and you want to understand other people.”

Follow reporter Marah Hobson on Twitter @MarahHarbison.