Wednesday, Sept. 25

University tWits perform sketch comedy

entUniversityTwits3

Before their performances, members of the student comedy group the University tWits always huddle in a circle to get psyched for the show, junior and cast member Eli Magers said.

This, combined with the energy and excitement from the audience, creates an atmosphere similar to the one he said they felt last Friday, when the group performed for the first time this semester. The show, “The University tWits Save the Day,” began at 9 p.m. in the Fine Arts building and was superhero-themed.

“A lot of people came out — it was great,” Magers said.

The student group, consisting of eight members, writes and acts out short comedic sketches they work on before each monthly performance. They perform a series of sketches on the last Friday of every month.

Adding a new aspect to its set last Friday, the tWits had IU student Jordan Mather-Licht open with a 20-minute-stand up routine. Magers said it helped loosen up the crowd.

“Some people end up acting more, some people end up writing more,” Magers said.

Magers said he loves the people he works with, but also just loves comedy.

“I love comedy because it’s fun and can lead to a compelling story,” he said.
Magers said he loves constructing a story with the element of humor.

“My favorite part about being in the tWits is writing, honestly,” Magers said.

He wrote two of the sketches that were chosen to be performed. One was a monologue by an immigrant worker named Brock, who had a new, frustrating business. Another was a robot love story.

“I try not to perform in my sketches because I want an outside perspective of how it’s going. So I always attempt to write my characters for other people,” he said.

Magers said performing in front of people is fantastic.

“It’s just being able to put a lot of time and effort into a project, putting it out there and having a positive reaction,” Magers said.

Follow reporter Sarah Zinn on Twitter @sarah_zinn.