Saturday, Sept. 7

Up your Oscar game

The 85th Annual Academy Awards

1. If your Oscars party is even going to approach spectacular, you have to have your own red carpet. It’s festive, and your guests will feel like celebrities as they arrive.

2. Commercial breaks can be boring, so pass the time by awarding your own Oscars during the breaks. That friend who talks through every movie can take the award for “Best Commentary.” Bonus points if you actually print out fake statuettes to award everyone.

3. If you’re opinionated, and you watch the celebrities walking the red carpet, then you earned the right to pass judgment on everyone’s fashion choices at the awards. Become your own Fashion Police and vote on the best and worst outfit of the night. You don’t need Joan Rivers.

4. Though the Academy doesn’t provide its guests with food and drinks, that doesn’t mean you can’t. Have big tubs of buttery popcorn and boxes of candy for the perfect movie-themed snacks.
 If you’re feeling really ambitious, create some signature drinks and give them names like “Gravity’s” Out of This World, COSMOpolitan, Gravi-tinis or The Ameri-gin Hustle. The crappier the pun, the better the drink.

5. Have each of your guests fill out an Oscar prediction ballot and contribute $5 (or whatever amount you wish) to the pot. Whoever predicts the most winners gets to keep bragging rights and all of the money.