Wednesday, Sept. 25

Dr. Suess-themed children’s musical comes to John Waldron Arts Center

Stages Bloomington will present the Broadway production “Seussical” from March 27 to March 30.

All six performances of the show, which will be staged at the Ivy Tech John Waldron Arts Center, sold out before opening night.

“Suessical” is a musical based on several books written by Dr. Seuss. It first appeared on Broadway in 2000.

Show director Pat Gleeson teaches classes at Stages Bloomington
.
She has directed more 350 shows starring people ages 5 to 19.

Dana Burton, marketing associate for Stages Bloomington, said the organization focuses on performance opportunities for young people in grades one through 12.

“It is the only theater company of its kind in Bloomington because it provides quality theater arts education,” she said. “There are year-long programs. So there are workshops, and summer camps and performances.”

Kinder Stages is a new program in development by Stages Bloomington, which Burton said will be geared toward educating children in preschool through first grade with theater activities.

She said the program will go beyond the experiences other community theater organizations offer.

“The Cardinal has kids in shows, the IU Opera has kids in shows and that is a learning experience, but its not arts education based on kids’ developmental levels,” Burton said.

She explained how Stages Bloomington seeks production staffs that are knowledgeable on how children learn and how to give them the best experience in theater arts education.

Stages Bloomington promoted its upcoming performances of “Seussical” by having ticket giveaways on the weekend of Dr. Seuss’ birthday.

Though the show is based on children’s books, Burton said the show will appeal to audiences of all ages.

“You don’t have to be a kid to like this show,” she said.

Christian Kemp