Friday, Oct. 4

HALFTIME: Illinois leads IU 30-28

Heading into halftime, the IU men’s basketball teams trails Illinois 30-28. Senior wing Will Sheehey leads all scorers with 11 points on 4-for-5 shooting from the field.

Illinois got off to a 9-0 start in the game’s first five minutes and 16 seconds. IU, which began its game against Michigan 9-for-9 from the field, missed its first eight shots against Illinois.

Out of the under 16 media timeout, the Hoosiers went on an 8-0 run. Sheehey hit a two-point jump shot and a contested 3-pointer to get the lead within four.

Sheehey also tossed a pass to an open freshman forward Troy Williams for a 3-pointer to close Illinois’ lead to one.

IU went on a 14-2 run capped off by a made 3-pointer from sophomore guard Kevin “Yogi” Ferrell. Illinois called timeout with 10:36 after Ferrell’s made 3-pointer.

After the timeout Illinois went on a 7-0 run to lead 18-14.

Ferrell ended Illinois’ run with two made free throws after getting fouled on a drive to the rim.

For IU, most of its scoring was done by Sheehey and Ferrell, who combined to score 21 points.

The Hoosiers relied heavily on the 3-pointer, hitting 6-of-10 shots from behind the arc.

On two-point field goals, however, the Hoosiers went just 2-for-13, and scored only two points in the paint the entire first half.

The Fighting Illini were led in scoring by Malcolm Hill, who had eight points on 2-for-3 shooting.

In the first half, the Hoosiers shot 34.8 percent from the field while the Fighting Illini shot 46.2 percent. IU committed nine turnovers, which resulted in 13 Illinois points.

Illinois committed six turnovers, which resulted in eight Hoosier points.

John Bauernfeind