Friday, Oct. 4

IU experiments with new lineup

The IU men’s golf top five will include some fresh faces when the team competes March 16-17 in Naples, Fla., for the Talis Park Challenge. Three freshmen, one sophomore and a senior will compete for IU. Ball State will play host.

Last time out, the Hoosiers saw season-low scores from freshmen Andrew Havill, Will Seger and Keegan Vea in the Snowman Getaway. That production landed all three in the Hoosiers’ top five, at least for the coming tournament.

“It’s going to be one of the youngest lineups I’ve had,” IU Coach Mike Mayer said. “That’s both exciting and a little scary at the same time.

“But, that being said, we need production from our senior, our number one player, our former All-Big Ten player, David Mills. If we don’t get production from him, it’s going to be a rough road for us.”

Mills said he was disappointed with his tie-for-55th finish in the Snowman Getaway, and he expects to play better this weekend.

During the 18-day layoff before this tournament, the team traveled to Alabama to escape the Indiana winter and play rounds in a more golf-friendly climate.
Mayer said Mills played as well as he’s ever seen him play.

“I mean, you have to really be mentally tough in this game, and it’s important to just remain positive and work on basic stuff that will get you back to where you’re at,” Mills said. “I just have to be in every shot and execute to the best of my ability.”

The final member of the IU squad is sophomore Max Kollin. He joins Seger and Mills as the only Hoosiers to compete in the top five for every tournament so far this season.

Kollin said the team has focused primarily on putting since the last tournament.

“I feel like we didn’t really putt that well in our last tournament, which is why we finished where we did — so if we can get some putts to drop, it’s going to help us win,” Kollin said. “I don’t see why we would go out there and not be hoping to win.”

KThe team has some extra motivation this weekend as they will be playing at in-state rival Ball State’s tournament, Kollin said.

“There’s a little bit of rivalry with Ball State,” Kollin said. “We know some of the golfers over there so it’s always nice to beat them.”

Mayer said he is fine with his golfers getting excited about any rivalries, but he tries to stay out of it.

“It’s always nice to know people when you’re going out on the road,” Mayer said. “I think it helps you become a little more comfortable. But at the end of the day, it’s about shooting numbers and it really shouldn’t impact what we do.”