Wednesday, Sept. 18

Saying goodbye to black and blue faux pas

Black and blue has negative connotations, but it shouldn’t. Despite popular belief, black and blue together, in my opinion, is OK. In fact, I’d even consider it en vogue.

The controversial couple first appeared in fall/winter 2012 collections by designers like Cushnie et Ochs and Marc Jacobs. However, the navy/black looks were geared toward formal chic ensembles such as tuxedo blazers and patch dresses that made it appear more like a runway stunt than actually wearable.

And despite the major label support, we college women, for the past two years, have still felt that slight pang of hesitance when matching a navy sheer blouse with black jeans.

Let me say this. It’s time for us to be confident in our selections and trust our intuitions. And for those few that will have disapproving stares, they’re simply behind and probably still believe that white after Labor Day is a no-go.

I’m from the south, and I confirm Emily Post has modernized her stance, and that, too, is OK.

And just as the epitome of etiquette elegance, Post, has modernized her stance on white, it’s time we follow suit with viewing black and blue as a fashion faux pas.

Looking at magazine headlines like Elle’s “The Happy Marriage of Black and Blue” and a number of pairings in spring editions, you won’t be alone in embracing the trend. It’s gone from the occasional navy/black formal pairing to spring cobalt hues with black details. We see edgy compliments of denim and leather such as in Jennifer Chun’s skirt designs to playful pairings for summer.

That’s right, the dark duo will be shining with the sun this season with pieces like Kate Spade’s Ciao! The Italian inspired collection features a navy/black/cobalt/cream Bonded Canvas Bucket Hat that is photographed to accompany her bright Painterly Lemon print. It’s a combination that is bright and gives an almost Greek-island, Aegean-sailing vibe .

Accents of blue and black are also appearing in nail art with highlights of yellow, cream or white. And it’s not only an accent, but a phenomenon we see dominating outfits this summer with floral prints splashing high-waisted skirts and patterning denim with designers like Donna Karan, who tends to be breaking all the runway “rules” lately.

­kelcollisi@indiana.edu