Thursday, Oct. 3

Former IU coach Waltman dies Tuesday

Former IU assistant coach Royce Waltman died Tuesday.

Waltman, 72, was an assistant coach with former IU Coach Bob Knight from 1982-87 and served as the color commentator with radio play-by-play analyst Don Fischer since the 2010-11 season.

“Royce was a very special person who gave so much to the game of basketball,” IU Coach Tom Crean said in a press release. “And without question impacted everyone he coached, worked with and supported.”

After leaving IU, Waltman went on to become head coach at DePauw, the University of Indianapolis and Indiana State. Waltman’s record as a head coach was 337-263, a .562 winning percentage.

During his time as a head coach, he led DePauw to the 1990 NCAA Division III national championship, the University of Indianapolis to the No. 1 ranking on two separate occasions and Indiana State to two straight NCAA tournament berths in 2000 and 2001.

“Royce was one of these coaches that endeared himself to everybody, even those who he got angry with now and then,” Fischer said in a release by the University. “Everybody that knew him respected him and liked him. He was a terrific basketball coach, but he was much more than that to everyone he knew. The time we spent with him on our broadcasts were absolutely special.”

Evan Hoopfer