Friday, Oct. 18

politics

Indiana receives A- for transparency

Indiana received an A-minus, the highest score in the country, for government spending transparency, according to a report from the U.S. Public Interest Research Group Education Fund.

Officials from Indiana and 44 other states provided the researchers with feedback on their initial evaluation of state transparency websites.

Based on an inventory of the content and ease-of-use of states’ transparency websites, the report assigns each state a grade from A to F.

These eight states all received a grade of A-minus. Indiana’s score of 94 out of 100 was the highest recorded score.

The report found that Indiana has created a user-friendly website that provides visitors with accessible information on a variety of expenditures and recipient-specific information on subsidy awards, according to an INPIRG press release.

Indiana has gradually improved its grade from an F in the first annual report in 2010. The state received a score of 75 in 2013, making it one of the most improved states.

The report is released amid controversy about the information provided on Indiana’s transparency website.

A problem with the Indiana Economic Development Corporation’s new transparency portal erasing failed deals from its database was verified, and Indiana’s score was penalized as a result, according to the release.

The state’s transparency website, www.in.gov/itp, is operated by Indiana State Auditor’s Office.

“It is crucial that Hoosiers know exactly how Indiana is spending taxpayer money,” auditor Suzanne Crouch said in the release.

Rebecca Kimberly