Thursday, Oct. 3

Little 500 rider hospitalized after accident

IU student and Little 500 cyclist Lauren Gill was involved in a crash at a practice race Thursday afternoon and has been transported to IU Health University Hospital in Indianapolis.

Gill was riding in a pack of riders when she made contact with the bicycle of another rider that had slowed down. Gill was thrown off her bike, landing on her head and shoulders, according to a release from the IU Student Foundation.

Emergency medical personnel, who had been stationed at the track during the simulation race, began to stabilize Gill, who was taken by ambulance to IU Health Hospital in Bloomington before being airlifted to the IU Health University Hospital in Indianapolis.

A hospital spokesperson confirmed that Gill arrived in Indianapolis just after 9:30 p.m. Thursday in critical condition.

As of 1:00 p.m. Monday, Gill remains in critical condition at the IU Health University Hospital, a hospital spokesperson confirmed.

The Gill family has chosen to not talk publicly about Gill's condition at this time, according to Little 500 race director Jordan Bailey.

"We have tremendous respect for these students who train so hard for an event that provides scholarships that help other students fulfull their educational goals," said Dan Smith, president of the IU Student Foundation in the statement. "Lauren, her family, teammates, and friends are in our thoughts at this difficult time."

In her first year competing in Individual Time Trials for first-year team IU Nursing, Gill placed 106th with a time of 3:09.51.

The spokesperson for the IU Health University Hospital said there is no timetable for further updates on her condition.

IU Nursing rider Rachel Dickerson has founded a Lauren Gill Recovery Fund that has raised more than four thousand dollars to help pay for Gill's recovery costs.

Donations are being accepted through the website https://fundly.com/lauren-gill-recovery-fund.

Sam Beishuizen, Alden Woods