Friday, Sept. 6

Scarjo shows skin as alien siren

Director Jonathan Glazer said Scarlett Johansson’s pink sweater against the cold Glasgow landscape made her look like an exotic insect on the wrong continent. This is exactly what he wanted.

Glazer worked with costume designer Steven Noble to create a disguise for Johansson’s character in his latest film, “Under the Skin,” which premieres in the U.S. April 4.

Johansson has a knack for sci-fi characters, particularly the seductress, kick-ass type like Black Widow in “The Avengers.” But in this project, Johansson plays Laura, a girl with an alien allure.

She plays an alien siren that preys upon hitchhikers in Scotland. Teasers of the film set the scene for an uncomfortable suspense that is heightened by a unnaturally rhythmic score and of course a wardrobe.

Johansson said she couldn’t have embraced this character if it wasn’t for the cold. Noble’s signature selection for her was a thick brown fur coat that framed her pale skin, botched haircut and red lipstick.

It’s only attractive because of the starlet’s strong, stunning features. Paired with a random pink tee that clashes with red lips, or light denim with black fur heeled boots that further throw the outfit, each selection allowed her to be an oddity.

But with the genre, sometimes it’s about what’s missing more than what’s there. “Skin” is a subtle, intellectual thriller that has critics calling the film a modern derivative of works like Stanley Kubrick’s “The Shining.”

The film works with an extensive visual and special effects team to create extraterrestrial events to modernize what historically would have been achieved through costume and set design alone. Noble embraced the modern tech influx when selecting costumes. Despite adding to the unnatural demeanor of Johansson, costumes were unnoticeable.

In fact, in some scenes costumes were genuinely natural because characters were not hired actors, but filmed secretly. In order to achieve this secret filming, cameras were installed in Johansson’s character’s van as she approached random men to try and lure them. It was only after the filming the men were notified.

Also, Noble recognized nudity as a costume in itself. Johansson removed simple black lingerie to appear fully nude in certain scenes. It was a highly publicized decision for the actress. Johansson said it was the most human she felt while playing her alien character. Also, a perfect play on “skin.”

­­kelcollisi@indiana.edu