Wednesday, Sept. 25

Art celebrated in Gallery Walk

CAROUSELentGalleryWeekend

Whether it’s an inspiring oil painting, a complex and beautiful piece of metal work or astrophotography, this weekend’s art display has heightened Bloomington’s craving for beauty.

The 10th anniversary of Bloomington’s Gallery Walk took place Friday.

The weekend continued with the third annual Bloomington Open Studios Tour Saturday and Sunday.

“It’s going to be a really fun weekend,” said Tova Lesko, the manager at By Hand Gallery. “It’s a perfect day outside right now. I think we’ll have the busiest gallery walk that we’ve had all year.”

Other galleries that participated in the Studio Tour include the Venue Fine Arts and Gifts, Ivy Tech John Waldron Arts Center, Gallery 406, Pictura, Blueline Gallery and more.

During the tour, 40 galleries united to launch the Red Dot campaign, a new addition to the Open Studios Tour this year.

Gallery 406 owner Kendall Reeves said the success of the campaign was hard to predict.

He said the campaign was a new solution to engage the community with the local artists.

“I think you have to try new things,” Reeves said. “I’m not sure how it will pan out, but I’m hoping for good things.”

Reeves said the Red Dot campaign had a simple motive.

“It’s all about getting people to purchase art,” he said. “Art impacts the community. A lot of people think that showing up to the Gallery Walk is supporting art, but you actually have to buy some too.”

According to the Gallery Walk Bloomington website, “The red dot sticker or mark on an artist or price card indicates that the art piece has been sold.

This is an American gallery tradition. During the exhibitions, the art is sold and marked with the red dots, but it stays on display until the closing of the exhibit.”

The campaign’s initiative was meant to spark the excitement for art in the community and to unite local artists to support each other’s art.

“I think it’s a great idea for all the galleries to work together,” Lesko said.

The Red Dot campaign also engaged local artists with the community through social media.

The active #RedDotIt kept the buzz alive about Bloomington’s galleries, businesses and creative talent.

“After this weekend, the community will be more aware of the different types of arts and artists in the local area,” Lesko said.