Wednesday, Sept. 25

Clips Beer and Film Tour raises more than $12,000

FROM IDS REPORTS

The Colorado craft brewery, New Belgium Brewing Company, raised more than $12,000 during its fifth annual sampling tour in Bloomington the last week of May.

In partnership with Open Streets Bloomington, New Belgium Brewing’s proceeds will benefit Bloomington community in raising awareness of the importance of physical activity and friendly public transportation.  

Known as Clips Beer and Film Tour, which travels to 21 cities this year, the sampling gathered more than 1,700 people during the weekend, which was up 400 from the past year.

There were 17 beers to sample, such as Cocoa Mole Ale, Blue Paddle and Valentine Brew.

The event also featured selected short Belgium film clips about sustainability and bicycling.

“We set the stage for people to come together, enjoy some beer, friends, films and donate to their community — all under the stars in a local park,” said Christie Catania, Clips National special events manager. “It’s a great time for all.”

The proceeds go to Open Street Bloomington, a local nonprofit organization that supports physical activity, economic and social development and broad transportation choices.

Open Streets Bloomington will use the proceeds to support future parade events that encourage residents to be more physically active and to create a friendlier avenue in the community.

“The event was joyful, and we were impressed by the innovation of the tastes of those beers, although we did find some rather surprising,” IU Ph.D student Xiaohui Gao said.
“However, we appreciated the refreshing sampling tour in town, which is like nothing else you commonly find here.”

Liliane Ho