Thursday, Oct. 3

sports baseball

Hartong out for remainder of postseason

spBaseball

Left fielder Brad Hartong will miss the remainder of the 2014 postseason due to a spleen injury, according to a release.

In the first inning of the IU-Stanford game Saturday, Hartong went back in an attempt to catch a fly ball hit by Stanford’s Austin Slater.

Hartong crashed hard into the wall, and the ball dropped, which allowed the Cardinal to score a run.

Trainers went out to check on Hartong, who was lying on the ground for a few moments after the collision with the wall.

Hartong was able to get up, and he remained in the game for a few inning.

He even took an at-bat and made an outfield assist when Stanford’s Dominic Jose tried to stretch a single into a double in the second inning.

In the fourth inning Hartong came out, and Craig Dedelow replaced him in left field. Hartong was seen walking gingerly back into the clubhouse with an IU trainer by his side.

“This a tough break for Brad, as he has been a huge contributor to this team all season,” IU Coach Tracy Smith said in the release. “We look forward to having Brad back in 2015 after he makes a full recovery.”

Not only was Hartong a first team All-Big Ten choice in left field, as he was hitting .313 on the year with 36 RBI, but he was also the team’s backup catcher and served as Christian Morris’ personal catcher.

Morris will get the start today at 6 p.m. against the winner of the Stanford-Youngstown State game, which begins at 1 p.m.

It is unclear if Smith will opt to go with Schwarber for a third straight start at the catcher position, or if he will use another catcher for Morris.

Evan Hoopfer