Wednesday, Sept. 25

Vintage Scenes showcases comedic shorts at winery

entVintageScenes

Mixing wine and theater, Bloomington Playwrights Project returns with Vintage Scenes, a series of comedic shorts at Oliver Winery.

Vintage Scenes will take place from 6:30 to 9 p.m. Thursday to celebrate producing artistic director Chad Rabinovitz’s five year anniversary with BPP.

The night will feature a series of shorts and an accompanying buffet dinner. The shorts are Robinovitz’s favorites from the past five seasons.

“Vintage Scenes is a show that we do at Oliver Winery every season,” the managing director Jessica Reed said in an email. “The short plays are different every year, and in the past two years, the plays were inspired by Oliver Wines.”

These shorts not only showcase the best of Rabinovitz, but also how far the company has come through the years.

“The event began as a way to perform memorable scenes from past BPP shows, whether they are full-length mainstage productions or part of the many other series that BPP used to perform,” Reed said.

Rabinovitz said he looks forward to such anniversary events.

“It’s been a lot of fun to look back over my past five years at the BPP and remember all of the wonderful plays we’ve produced,” Rabinovitz said in an email.

BPP is the only professional theater that solely focuses on new plays.

The Vintage Scenes has consistently drawn a crowd of BPP subscribers. As the event grows larger this year, BPP is preparing for 120 guests, The audience will include a mix of theater lovers.  

Oliver Winery has more than four decades of history in offering a selection of wines in Bloomington. A cash bar with wine will also be open in the night of Vintage Scenes.

Tickets including dinner and the performance are $25 and available for purchase on-site or online at the Buskirk-Chumley Theatre Box Office.

“I’m excited to see my favorites in front of an audience again, and what better place than outdoors at Oliver Winery,” Rabinovitz said.