Wednesday, Sept. 25

Cardinal Stage Company opens "1776" musical

The Cardinal Stage Company will debut its production of the musical “1776” Sept. 4 at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

Labeled as “America’s Favorite Musical” by the company’s website, performances of “1776” will continue until Sep. 13.

Tickets can be purchased online at the company’s website, cardinalstage.org .

They can also be purchased in person at the company’s main location at 900 S. Walnut St.

“1776” is a winner of five Tony Awards in 1969, including Best Musical and Best Book.

The plot focuses on the 2nd Continental Congress and the passionate debates that occurred about whether the American colonies should declare Independence from King George III and Great Britain.

Randy White, artistic director for the Cardinal Stage Company, said he is thrilled to open the season with this production.

“1776” was the first play he directed when he came to the United States from Canada.

“We wanted to open the season with a big musical, haven’t done that in a while,” White said. “We wanted people to celebrate the idea of who we are as Americans and how it all first started.”

The production features a variety of regular actors.

These include Mark Goetzinger as Ben Franklin, Rob Johansen as John Dickinson and Mike Price as John Adams.

There will also be newcomers such as Bloomington High School Choral Director Sarah Miller as Abigail Adams.

“‘1776’ is a musical comedy that has a surprising funny story from something so dry, even though you know where it’s going to end up,” White said. “It is remarkably compelling with the debates and interpersonal stuff that helps humanizes characters.”