Wednesday, Sept. 25

Ceramicist to demonstrate at the Venue

Rebecca Lowery, a local ceramics artist, will demonstrate how to throw pots on the wheel Tuesday at the Venue, Fine Art & Gifts.

The Venue has been connected with Lowery for about two years, said David Colman, the Venue curator.

Lowery is a ceramicist and will bring clay to demonstrate the craft of creating pots. She will also narrate to explain the process and instructions as she works the wheel.

The Venue is a gallery where artists can show their work for visitors to browse and purchase.

The Victorian-style building has five individual showrooms that allow the owners of the business to display a variety of styles, so everyone can find something that stands out to them.

“We also encourage people to stroll through the gallery to see what other work we have, as well,” Colman said.

The Venue has housed some of Lowery’s work and provided space for her demonstrations in the past, which Colman said were appealing to different age groups.

“Her demonstrations are very kid-friendly,” Colman said. “It’s a good opportunity for kids and people who don’t know anything about ceramics to learn how to do it and see what it looks like.”

Lowery has frequented the Venue many times.

She is known to be a professional in the art of ceramics. She received her bachelor’s in fine arts and spent four years in the ceramics apprenticeship program at Berea College.

After she graduated, she spent time teaching and working on her craft in Kentucky, as well as Maryland.

“It was very well-received two years ago when she did it,” Colman said. “It’s fun to watch, and I think everyone else enjoyed it, as well. It helps promote her. We sell her work, but she sells her work separately, as well, so it’s sort of a promotion of her work.”

Currently, Lowery’s studio is in Bloomington. Her handmade pottery is known for its unique quirks, and she displays much of her work at arts shows and festivals throughout the year.

Lowery also offers private lessons to other artists and anyone just wanting to learn.

Lowery’s demonstration will begin 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Venue.