Wednesday, Sept. 25

Bloomington Symphony Orchestra to perform Saturday

The Bloomington Symphony Orchestra will perform its first concert of its 45th season at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

Tickets are $15 for general admission and free for those 18 and younger.

“We’re thrilled to have them (perform) downtown and in our historic theater,” said Rebecca Stanze, associate director of the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. “It’s a classic Bloomington organization, and it makes them a great match for the theater having them perform in our space.”

Executive director and trombonist Donna Lafferty said the BSO will play four out of its eight concerts at the theater as part of its new partnership.

“Hopefully if this works well then we’ll do more of our concerts there and eventually, move full time to the Buskirk-Chumley,” Lafferty said.

Lafferty said she, along with other BSO players, is looking forward to a permanent location for the BSO.

“Having the Chumley downtown and this being such a strong partnership between the theater and orchestra, adds a layer of class and polish,” Lafferty said. “We were looking for a place to call our home, and I think we found it.”

Artistic Director and Conductor Adam Bodony said in a press release that rehearsals are blessed events in which the musicians come together each week to make music.

“The players get my humor, they understand what I’m driving at, and they know I try not to waste time, but to use the two-and-a-quarter hours to the max,” Bodony said.

While the music is a key factor in the concert, Lafferty said the BSO strives to do more and create a community approach, as well.

“Our conductor will talk about each piece of music before and after we play things,” Lafferty said. “We want to help the audience understand the context of the piece (and) what’s important to listen for in the music (in order to) make them feel more connected to the performance itself.”

The theme of the concert, MMM, stands for Mozart, Milhaud and Murphy. Mozart and Milhaud are composers, while Murphy stands for Otis Murphy, one of the youngest faculty members in the history of IU’s music school. Lafferty said Murphy will perform a saxophone solo and is very collaborative in how he rehearses with the BSO.

“There are times when he trades off the melody with the oboe or flute player, and they match tone,” Lafferty said. “He’ll listen to them and mimic what they did and vice versa. It’s very fun and playful.”

Lafferty said it’s the connectedness and participatory factors of a live symphony that make it so important.

“You can listen to your radio in your car, and it’s an experience you have on your own,” Lafferty said. “If you’re taking the time to actually go to a performance, sit down and engage with what’s going on right then and there, it means so much more to you. It’s a way to connect and learn about yourself and life.”