Wednesday, Sept. 25

Breaking Bad actor to speak at IU Cinema

Actor Jonathan Banks of "Breaking Bad" fame, an IU alumnus, returned to IU this weekend and particpated in the inaugruation of the Media School.

“Breaking Bad” actor Jonathan Banks will speak about his film and television career 3 p.m. today at the IU Cinema.

The free event is first come, first serve. Doors open at 2 p.m.

Banks, who attended IU in the 1970s, has since appeared in “Community” as professor Buzz Hickey; “Wiseguy” as Frank McPike; “Airplane!” as Gunderson; “Modern Family” as Donnie Pritchett; “Parks and Recreation” as Steve Wyatt and “Identity Thief” as Paul.

Recently, Banks is best known for playing the role of Mike Ehrmantraut in the award-winning drama “Breaking Bad.”

“Jonathan’s main motivation to return this week is to connect with theater students, both at the graduate and undergraduate level,” IU Cinema Director Jon Vickers said in a press release. “He has told me several times how important his time here at IU was to him, and he feels that he may be able to offer students some wisdom collected from his 40-plus years in the business.”

Jonathan Michaelsen, chair of the Department of Theatre, Drama and Contemporary Dance, will lead the discussion with Banks.

Michaelsen said he is a fan of “Airplane!,” but Banks’ work in “Breaking Bad” was outstanding. He said having the opportunity to speak with Banks is an invaluable opportunity for IU students.

“It is vital for our students to have contact with professional artists. In Jonathan’s case, this means learning how he approaches acting and what training he recommends,” Michaelsen said.

Brittany Friesner, associate director for IU Cinema, said the event will consist of an onstage conversation between Michaelsen and Banks followed by an audience question and answer session.

She said the event will last approximately 90 minutes.

“Given his accomplishments on stage and screen in the years since, his visit back to the Bloomington campus is both a testament to his appreciation for the education he received at IU but also a way for him to pay it forward, helping advise students who are interested in following the same career path,” Friesner said.

While at IU this weekend , Banks attended several Homecoming weekend events, including the dedication of the Ernie Pyle sculpture at the Media School. Banks will also conduct a private master class.

“Every actor has a slightly different method of creating characters, and it will be excellent to hear how Jonathan has transformed himself into the amazing variety of roles he has played throughout his career,” Michaelsen said.