Wednesday, Sept. 25

Buskirk to host bartending competition

Local bartenders will compete in the annual Mix-Off competition Oct. 16 in the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

There will be three rounds of competition and three drinks made, according to the Buskirk-Chumley website. Batch cocktails will be made in a large quantity for the entire audience to try.

The tasting cocktail will be tasted by the judges and 30 speakeasy audience members. Speakeasy tickets are an add-on that audience members can purchase to receive special tasting privileges during the competition.

Last will be a cocktail-making competition in which the drink is made on the spot, according to the Buskirk-Chumley. The drink will be unveiled at the time of the event, the cocktail will be one that is mainstream.

Four bartenders from ?local restaurants will compete to be the best in Bloomington. They come from Nick’s English Hut, Crazy Horse, Farm and Michael’s Uptown Café.

General admission tickets are $20 and include “tastings of the four batch cocktails made by the competing bartenders,” “heavy appetizers provided by One World Events and Catering,” “the opportunity to learn about Prohibition in Bloomington through a presentation by Bloomington Fading” and “seemingly endless ‘A guy walks into a bar ... ’ jokes.”

For those who are less than 21, there is a $10 mocktail ticket that lets people taste non-alcoholic punches and other mixes.

Funds raised at the Mix-Off will support Buskirk-Chumley programming, which is operated by a nonprofit organization.