Wednesday, Sept. 25

Cardinal performs newest play in early November

Cardinal Stage Company is scheduled to present “A Streetcar Named Desire” Nov. 7 through Nov. 23 at the John Waldron Arts Center Auditorium.

“A Streetcar Named Desire” is a play telling the story of Blanche Dubois.

Dubois is a down and out southern belle who moves to New Orleans to live with her sister and brother-in-law, according to a Cardinal Stage Company press release.

Dubois’ brother-in-law is tough and abusive and singles out Dubois when she comes to live with them.

This production is the first play on Cardinal Stage Company’s Bucket List plays.

The Bucket List is a group of plays that Cardinal Stage has chosen that you must see performed onstage before you die, according to the press release.

The play was written by Tennessee Williams in 1947.

Soon after, he received a Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 1948 for “A Streetcar Named Desire.”

The play was eventually turned into a film in 1951. It was directed by Elia Kazan, a Greek-American director, producer writer and actor.

“Streetcar is a must-see theatrical experience,” director Randy White said in a press release. “Whatever the great strengths of the Kazan film, Williams’ poignant story comes to explosive life on the stage. Cardinal’s production in the intimacy of the Waldron Auditorium is an opportunity to experience two of the greatest characters ever imagined going head to head in the rawest, most emotionally exposed ways.”

In the Cardinal Stage production, Chicago-based actress Carrie Lee Patterson is set to play the main lead, Blanche Dubois.

IU theater department alumnus Matt Holzfiend plays Dubois’ brother-in-law, Stanley.

Performances begin 7:30 p.m. Nov. 7 and run through Nov. 23.

Matinee performances are available 2 p.m. Nov. 9, 15, 16, 22 and 23.

Tickets start at $19.95 for adults and $13.95 for students and can be purchased online at cardinalstage.org or at the box office on 900 S. Walnut Street.