Thursday, Oct. 3

Coleman named to Maxwell Award watch list

IU vs Iowa

IU junior running back Tevin Coleman was added to the watch list for the Maxwell Award, which goes to the nation’s best college football player.

Coleman was among 10 players who were added to the award watch list Wednesday as a result of “their noteworthy play” during the season, the Maxwell Award representatives said in a press release.

Coleman leads the nation in rushing yards (1,060), rush yards per game (176.7) and all-purpose yards (1,194).

He’s the 13th different Big Ten player to be named to the award watch list. He joins the likes of Nebraska senior running back Ameer Abdullah and Wisconsin junior running back Melvin Gordon on the list.

The Maxwell Award semifinalists will be announced Nov. 3, and three finalists will be announced Nov. 24.

The winner of the Maxwell Award will be announced Dec. 11.

Coleman will have his work cut out against a Michigan State defense that has been one of the best in the country at stopping the run.

Michigan State has held opponents to 81.5 rushing yards per game, good enough for fifth in the ?nation.

Two weeks ago, the Spartans held Nebraska’s Abdullah to just 45 yards on 24 carries. He led the nation with 833 rushing yards coming into that game.

Coleman and his Hoosier teammates will take on Michigan State at 3:30 p.m. Saturday at Memorial Stadium in a Homecoming matchup for the Old Brass Spittoon.