Wednesday, Sept. 25

Emmy award winner to talk at Music School

The Jacobs School of Music will host a talk featuring Larry Groupé, an Emmy award-winning composer.

“The Hollywood Film Composer Today” lecture will be at 7 p.m. Oct. 13 in the Simon Music Center’s Sweeney Lecture Hall, according to a release.

Groupé is set to play a sampling of clips from his film scores.

He will explain the current process of working with directors, producers and studios, according to the release.

For aspiring TV musicians, he will discuss the technical differences between scoring for feature films and scoring for ?television.

The event is free and aimed at “composers, musicians, aspiring filmmakers, audio engineers and all who are interested in how music and visual media work together in Hollywood,” according to the release.

Additional topics to be covered include the “technical and digital aspects of the craft,” as well as a study of the “business climate, current conditions and ancillary careers in the field.”

Groupé has four Emmy Award nominations and three Emmys.

He has collaborated with director Rob Lurie on “Straw Dogs,” starring James Marsden, Kate Bosworth and Alexander Skarsgård, “Nothing But the Truth,” featuring Kate Beckinsale, Matt Dillon and Alan Alda and “Resurrecting the Champ,” starring Samuel L. Jackson and Josh Hartnett, according to the release.

He also scored “The Contender,” with Jeff Bridges and the TV political drama “Commander in Chief.”

This event is paid for by the Sweetwater Computer Music Lecture Series, according to the release.