Wednesday, Sept. 25

Monk hosts master piano class

Seán Duggan, Order of Saint Benedict, is a pianist and monk of St. Joseph Abbey in Covington, La., according to Jacobs School of Music.

He will be featured in a guest master class in Ford-Crawford Hall today at ?10 a.m.

This lecture follows the day after Duggan’s solo piano concert Oct. 13 at the music school.

An accomplished Bach musician, he won “first prize in the Johann Sebastian Bach International Competition for Pianists in Washington, D.C.” twice according to the music school.

The first time was in September 1983 and the second was in August 1991.

In 2000 he performed “the complete cycle of Bach’s keyboard works” eight times in American and European cities, according to the music school.

He hosted a weekly program on the New Orleans NPR station, “Bach on Sunday,” for seven years.

Currently, he is recording all of Bach’s piano music, which is about 24 CDs of content.

Duggan has taught for many years.

He taught music, Latin and religion from 1988 to 2001 at St. Joseph Seminary College in Louisiana.

He was also an organist and the director of music at St. Joseph Abbey.

Today, he teaches in the music school at State University of New York ?Fredonia.

Before joining the Benedictine order, Duggan was pianist and assistant chorus master for the Pittsburgh Opera Company for three years, according to SUNY Fredonia.

The Pittsburgh Opera is the eighth oldest company in the United States, according to its website.

The event will be free to the public.