Friday, Oct. 18

The exorcism of Latoya Ammons

I don’t know about children, but the number one thing scaring college students stiff these days are ethnically or culturally indicative costumes.

My effort to keep Halloween more about exploring our fears and acknowledging the unknown can be supplemented no better than by discussing the 2012 exorcisms of Latoya Ammons in Gary, Ind.

Shortly after moving into a modest house, Ammons and her family began experiencing what seems like theatrical signs of a coming storm of evil activity. These were claims of horseflies covering windows in late autumn, strange voices, eerie footsteps in the basement and dark figures roaming about the home, according to an Indianapolis Star report last year. 

These events were soon followed by accounts of hostile paranormal phenomena targeting Ammons and her three children. One of the first incidents was the alleged levitation of Ammons’ 12-year-old daughter as she slept.

The family recounted even violent occurrences, including the alleged throwing of Ammon’s youngest child out of a room and physical injuries inflicted on the 12-year-old girl, landing her in the hospital. The family spent many nights in motels out of fear of being in their own home, according to the Star.

The accounts from medical centers are now among the most well known.

It was claimed that Ammons' two sons were uncontrollably shouting ominous messages in demonic voices. A report from a Department of Child Services staff member told that one of the boys was picked up and thrown against a wall. Another DCS report described that one boy briefly walked up a wall backwards while giving an unusual grin before jumping off and landing on his feet, according to the Star.

As quickly as all of this happened, life seemingly returned to normal after several exorcisms and the family’s relocation.

The cinematic ambiance of this tall tale makes me skeptical. What makes it interesting is that it’s so well documented. According to the Star, there are nearly 800 pages of official detailed accounts. Furthermore, the witnesses of certain unexplainable happenings aren’t limited to family members. Among those unrelated witnesses are a policeman, nurse, psychologist, priest and a family case manager.

In the practice of keeping an open mind and staying adventurous, I consider myself somewhat of an amateur paranormal investigator. I remain skeptical. Nonetheless, my findings have driven me to the conclusion that simply believing in other worldly entities is not even remotely insane. The complexity of the universe does not end at its surface.

Exploring the possible validity of the supernatural is far more worthy of our attention than demonizing a phenotypically unqualified person for wearing a sombrero.

edharo@indiana.edu