Wednesday, Sept. 25

Steve James comes to campus

Steve James, a documentary filmmaker made famous by his work “Hoop Dreams,” will speak at IU Cinema on Friday.

His arrival will be featured as part of the Cinema’s Jorgensen Guest Filmmaker Lecture Series.

His visit to campus will include public question-and-answer sessions, a master class with specially selected students and screenings of a four-piece sampling of his work, according to a press release.

“Life Itself,” “Hoop Dreams,” “Reel Paradise” and “The Interrupters” will be screened today through Saturday.

IU Cinema Director Jon Vickers chose the four documentaries because he thought they would show a good representation of the director’s work, according to the release.

James initially captured national attention in 1994 as director of the award-winning documentary “Hoop Dreams.”

The plot of the documentary traced the lives of “two young basketball stars from inner-city Chicago as they chase their NBA aspirations,” according to the release.

"‘Hoop Dreams’ is considered by many to be one of the most significant documentary films ever made,” said Steve Krahnke, director of national program development for WTIU and senior lecturer in the IU Media School, in the release. “It is also on many lists of the most significant films of any kind ever made.”

The documentary was originally crafted to be a 30-minute PBS program, according to the release.

However the project grew steadily, and the documentary crew followed players Arthur Agee and William Gates from eighth grade until their first year in college.

At the Sundance Festival, “Hoop Dreams” captured the attention of critics Ebert and Gene Siskel, who gave the work a “two thumbs up” on their television show.

They later selected it as the best film of the year, according to the release.

“Even at almost three hours’ length, ‘Hoop Dreams’ keeps you ?engrossed,” said Susanne Schwibs, a producer/director for WTIU who also teaches in the Media School, in the press release.

“James is a superb, cinematic filmmaker and storyteller. His films are relevant and important; they are also moving and highly personal.

“His own voice, though, never overshadows his subjects or the larger theme.”

Outside of documentaries, he ventured into theatrical features and TV. James also worked on “Prefontaine” and the cable movies “Passing Glory” and “Joe and Max,” according to IU Cinema.

Tickets are priced at $3, with a two-ticket limit per person for each show.